Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Moms....Pops....I have some bad news

I need to tell my parents today about my cancer.  Conveniently they're coming to visit for the holidays, so I'll get to tell them in person rather than dropping the bomb over the phone.

My mom is going to freak.  She's always been more concerned about my potential for cancer than I have.  I have a feeling she'll blame herself for genetically predisposing me to this.  My mom has had breast cancer twice.  She's been through lumpectomies and radiation treatments and tamoxifen.  And she doesn't want her youngest child to have to go through that too.

But the important thing about my mom is that she is a cancer survivor.  This didn't kill her.  Her cancer was completely treatable.  Twice.  And my cancer is also completely treatable.  I'd like to think that this is what she genetically predisposed me to.  It's the survivor gene.

I'm not looking forward to watching my mother cry.  She will cry.  I'm certain of it.  And then, instead of her comforting me, I will comfort her.  I'll remind her that breast cancer is one of the most treatable and curable cancers that exists.  I'll remind her that she is a survivor and I will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment