Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Importance of the Bear

The thing that has been the most amazing to me since my diagnosis is the outpouring of caring from other people.  A steady stream of greeting cards has flooded my mailbox in the past few weeks.  And while a card doesn't necessarily seem like a big deal to the sender, I assure you it is a great comfort to the receiver.  Knowing that others care and want to help makes everything a bit easier.

Last Saturday I received a package in the mail.  From complete strangers.  Four breast cancer survivors (including one who is friends with my sister) formed a group called "Pink BCause."  When they learn of people recently diagnosed, they send a care package.  My box included a journal, a book of inspirational stories from breast cancer survivors, a lot of literature about breast cancer and treatment, some assorted other pink ribbon and inspirational things, and my favorite piece...a teddy bear.






Now kids really get the importance of the teddy bear.  Your bear pal is always there.  It's a source of comfort.  A hug whenever you might need one.  Something to always hang onto for support.  As adults we sort of lose touch with that concept.  We lean on other people and sometimes pets for comfort and support.  But other people and pets aren't always available or perceptive to your need for a hug.  My week with my new bear has been wonderful.  He sits next to me on the sofa when I relax in front of the TV.  He is soft and comforting and reminds me how much people care about me.  And he hugs me whenever I want.  Children understand.  We should never forget the importance of the bear.

And while we're on the subject of caring, I have to give a shout-out to my friend Laura who had planned to fly in from Michigan to spend the weekend with me.  I didn't ask her to come.  She just wanted to come and take care of me and make sure I was really OK.  And until she said she was coming I hadn't realized just how badly I wanted all of my best friends to be by my side rather than scattered all over the country.  I know they are there for me.  I know I can call them any time day or night.  But I miss my friends and I want to actually be in the same room with them during this particularly challenging time.  Thankfully, they are all working on plans to get here.  Laura was to be first.  She booked a flight and everything was going well.  Her first leg from Kalamazoo to Detroit went off with only a minor delay.  And then her flight from Detroit to State College was delayed.  And delayed again.  And delayed again.  And then canceled.  And her alternate flight the next morning....also canceled.  Mother Nature just didn't want Laura to be able to get here this weekend.  Through some miracle, Laura ran into a co-worker in the Detroit airport who was driving to Battle Creek, so Laura's husband didn't have to load the kids into the family truckster and journey all the way to Detroit in the snow in order to get her home last night.  But hats off to an amazing friend who went on a twelve hour trip to nowhere and then still had to make a morning journey to the airport today to retrieve her suitcase.  All for me.

I have amazing friends.  Thank you to all of you for the never-ending support.  You make this so much easier to go through.  I wish you all a teddy bear of your own. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment