Saturday, January 7, 2012

The True Cost of Much Less Than a Pound of Flesh

When I removed the bandage from my lumpectomy I nearly passed out in the shower.  Not because it hurt.  But because of what I saw.  No blood.  No infection.  But I had to deal suddenly with the realization that my breast now has a different shape.  Where there was once a curve, there is now a flat spot.  It's not a huge change.  As long as I'm wearing a bra or a good quality swimsuit no one will be able to tell.  But I know.

I knew that having some flesh removed from my breast was going to change the shape of it.  It's logical.  This breast was already far from perfect to start with.  I already have a large keloid scar on a different part of the breast from having a benign cyst removed several years ago.  And for some reason the old scar doesn't bother me near as much as this new dent.

I think the issue is that this cancer thing has now officially taken something from me.  The Big C has robbed me of the shape of my breast.  It's a small flat spot.  It shouldn't bother me.  Most women with breast cancer lose much larger areas of their breast, if not the entire breast.  I'm fortunate to escape with just a flat spot.  Yet at the same time...I feel like this was cancer's small victory.  And I don't want cancer to be victorious over me in any way.

I expect that in more time, the flat spot won't bother me any more.  It won't be cancer's victory over me.  It'll be my badge of honor of my victory over cancer.  I guess everything takes a little time to process fully.  From what I read I can expect my flat spot to become a bit more pronounced as I progress through radiation therapy.  I'll get used to it.  I'll likely even forget about it most of the time.  Someday.  But not just yet.

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I love this blog. Thinking of you alot and marvelling at your strength. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a flat spot on my face...it's totally fine. You'll get used to it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete