Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Insomnia and the Lumpectomy

I couldn't sleep last night.  And I guess insomnia is normal in this situation.  My lumpectomy is today.

Today the surgeon will go back into the same site where she did the excision biopsy and remove more tissue.  When she originally removed the lesion she took some margin tissue from around the cyst.  Three sides of this tissue were cancer-free.  One side was still touching more cancer.  So more tissue must go.  Get the cancer out.  Make it go away.

The procedure itself really isn't a big deal.  It's scheduled for 7:30 this morning.  And I'll probably be home resting comfortably on my couch by 9:30 AM.  She just needs to reopen the old wound and take a little bit more tissue.

So why can't I sleep?  There's nothing to worry about.  The worst part of the whole ordeal for me really is the fact that I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything until after the surgery is done.  Right now I would love nothing more than a toasted English muffin and a nice cup of coffee.  Or at least a drink of water.  Ignoring my desire to eat and drink would be much easier if I were sleeping.  But fate didn't make this easy for me.

Insomnia and fasting don't mix well.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are home and fast asleep by now. Or, barring that, resting comfortably on the Comfy Blue Couch.

    ReplyDelete